Pediatric Fellow Requirements
The application period for the Fellow of Pediatric Perfusion is now closed. Applications were accepted between January 5 and April 5, 2018 for this year's application cycle. All requirements needed to be met and the completed documents (new or continuing) were required to be on file with AmSECT National Headquarters by April 5, 2018. Perfusionists that complied with this deadline are now being considered for entry into Fellowship during AmSECT’s Pediatric Perfusion Meeting in October of 2018. Applicants will be notified by the end of July of 2018 of the status of their application.
Requirements and Process of Applying for Fellow Designation
All properly submitted and accepted applications for Fellowship are developed and evaluated on a one-year cycle. This year’s deadline for receiving completed applications was April 5, 2018.
- Perfusionists who are interested must first fill out the application survey form. Please note that the application survey form is now closed for 2018. Those that do not send in a completed survey or do not fulfill all requirements of the survey will not have their application reviewed.
- A completed formal application is required from each applicant. Forms will be available for download after the applicant fills out the application survey form. Please note we will not accept any late or incomplete applications for review. The application will have detailed submission instructions. In addition to providing information regarding their perfusion training and practice, applicants are requested to:
- Sign a statement agreeing to abide by the bylaws, rules, and regulations of AmSECT and sign the Fellow Pledge.
- Furnish references from a current perfusion colleague or Chief Perfusionist, pediatric cardiac surgeon and cardiac anesthesiologist. Letters of reference should be on institutional letterhead, contain an original signature and can either be mailed to AmSECT at 330 N Wabash Suite 2000, Chicago, IL 60611 or emailed to email@example.com. The letters must be sent directly from the reference. Any reference letters turned in by the applicant will not be considered.
- Applicants may be requested to present detailed case reports and related information as additional evidence of their professional proficiency
- If applicants want to pay by check, please send the check to AmSECT PO Box 776299 Chicago, IL 60677 with FPP in the memo of the check
Evaluation of Application for Fellow
The evaluation of an applicant for Fellow is based on comprehensive information relating to the applicant’s perfusion-related judgment and experience, professional competence, ethical conduct, professional standing in the local community, and attitude toward the basic tenets of AmSECT. Such information is obtained from the Pediatric Fellow Review Committee, references named by the applicants and others.
The Pediatric Fellow Review Committee shall consist of one member of the Board of Directors, two AmSECT members at large, the current Pediatric Committee Chair, and the Selection Committee Chair.
- AmSECT National Headquarters shall review each application for completeness and shall prepare a summary of the biographical information and other pertinent information for review by the Fellow Review Committee. If the applicant does not meet the minimum qualifications, further processing of the application will be deferred until the applicant has met all of the requirements.
- The Fellow Review Committee appraises information and recommendations from all sources relating to applications and may, at its discretion, defer action on any application.
- After review and evaluation of all information, the Fellow Review Committee makes one of three decisions:
- Approval – In order to attain the designation of Fellow of Pediatric Perfusion, each applicant must receive approval of 3/5 of the Fellow Review Committee.
- Postponed (for at least one year) – A postponement is not considered as an adverse action. It is designed to give the applicant an opportunity to acquire further knowledge or additional experience or to develop professionally. It also provides the Society with an additional period of observation, investigation and further evaluation of the applicant’s eligibility for Fellow.
- Not Approved – Not approved is an adverse action.
- Following a “Not Approved” action, the applicant may submit a new application after a waiting period of three years.
- Applicants who receive an adverse action on their application may request an appeal. Appeals are heard under the direction of the Executive Board.
- The Executive Board may change an adverse action at its discretion.
- No Action – no action is taken when an application is determined to be incomplete. The application is then deferred for consideration to the following year.
- Successful applicants are admitted into Fellowship at the annual Pediatric Perfusion Conference.
- Applicants are notified by letter of their acceptance for Fellowship and are admitted to Fellowship by the select committee at the convocation ceremony held during the AmSECT Pediatric Perfusion Conference in Miami, FL in October of 2018.