Requirements and Prerequisites
- The applicant must have a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent.
- The applicant must be practicing in blood management, completing a minimum of fifty (50) autotransfusion procedures (those involving a semiautomatic cell processing/washing device) with evidence thereof. IBBM recommends a minimum of one year of experience for all examinees.
- The applicant must produce evidence of the clinical location(s), date performed, procedure, surgeon, type of procedure, and whether the case is adult/pediatric.
Application Process & Required Elements
Step 1: Submit Application
The PBMT Certification Online Application requires candidates to submit the following information:
- Personal and employer information
- Facility Information and Confirming Individual Information
- A non- refundable $200.00 exam fee
- Clinical Activity Report: Fifty (50) clinical cases utilizing cell saver technique performed during the previous year. This list must include the Hospital/Clinic, date, surgeon, procedure performed, Surgeon, Procedure Type, Adult/Pediatric. Procedures must be specific (Total Hip Arthroplasty, Posterior Spinal Fusion, etc.). Procedure categories will not be accepted (Ortho, Vascular, Emergency, Heart, etc.). Procedure Type must be Autotransfusion, Platelet Gel or Stem Cell
- Copy of High School or College Diploma or copy of Clinical Credentialing (CCP, RN, LPN, MD, etc.)
- Authorization for Release of Information and Case Verification Form
- Proctor Application form
Please submit your Clinical Activity Report, Diploma, Case Verification Form and Proctor Application through the online application form’s upload function. If you cannot upload your required form through the online application, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To preview the Proctor Guidleines, please review the form linked here: Proctor Guidelines Form.
Step 2: IBBM Verifies Information
One week before exam period opens:
- An email will be sent to the proctor with detailed exam instructions. This letter will detail the exam protocol and provide the necessary test verification form to be completed by the proctor at the end of the exam.
- The candidate will receive an email. This letter will indicate that you are eligible to sit for the exam and your proctor has been sent the necessary information for the exam.
48 Hours before exam period opens: Candidates will recieve an emailed invitation to the test taking platform EasyLMS. Please note: some institutions security systems may block emails from EasyLMS. If you do not recieve your access email, please reach out to email@example.com
Step 3: Take Certification Exam
Examinees may select the specific day they would like to take their exam within the testing window and will have three (3) hours to complete the 100 question exam. Preliminary results (exam day results) are provided immediately after completing the exam. The exam day results are final when the exam window closes, and the exams are re-scored. The official exam score and results will be mailed via USPS approximately 90 days after the close of the exam.
If the applicant passes the exam, they will receive a Perioperative Blood Management Technologist Certificate at the address provided on the application within 90 day of the close of the exam period.
If the applicant does not pass the exam, a letter will be mailed showing the areas of deficiencies. To retake the exam, applicants must submit a new application. If the applicant retakes the exam within nine (9) months, the fee is $100.00 USD. IBBM will reach out to those eligible for the discounted retake exam.
Details on recertification can be found by visiting the Recertification page.
To verify an individuals current certification status please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
More PBMT Information