- AHRQ TeamSTEPPS
- Standards and Guidelines For Perfusion Practice
- Alerts and Notifications
- CCPS & SPCS Safety Committee
- Improving Patient and Worker Safety
- National Patient Safety Agency
- National Patient Safety Foundation
- NHS Guide to Good Practice in Clinical Perfusion
- Patient Safety in the Cardiac Operating Room
- The Joint Commission
- SCA FOCUS Initiative
- WHO Patient safety
What is Perfusion Safety? A good definition is the avoidance of unnecessary incidents that result in adverse patient outcomes. These incidents can be categorized into four groups:
- Malfunctioning or defective equipment and supplies
- Communication failure between healthcare professionals
- Human error or incorrect execution of procedures
- Failure to anticipate adverse events
With patients’ lives in the balance, it is critical for Perfusionists to make safety a top priority while implementing best practices to mitigate risks and improve safety procedures. Gary Grist, RN CCP, a contributing AmSECT Safety Committee member, has crafted the following resources for download as a start to the Perfusion Safety section of the AmSECT website.
Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA) Articles
- ECMO FMEA Introduction 10.9.2018
- ECMO FMEA: Trouble Shooting, Root Cause Analysis and the Failure Mode Effect Analysis Closed Circuit, Hollow Fiber Oxygenator, Centrifugal Pump, and Instrument Stack
- Narrative 4: ECMO FEMA D1 Failure Venous blood line jerking a/k/a chugging.
- Narrative 5: ECMO FMEA E1 Failure: Pre-pump air in the venous cannula, venous line and compliance chamber.
- Narrative 6: ECMO FMEA F1 Failure: Water dripping on the pump or floor
Perfusion Safety and FMEA Powerpoint – download the file HERE
If you have a suggestion for a failure mode that you would like to see formalized in the FMEA or have questions about the FMEA or Perfusion Safety Program, please contact Gary Grist by clicking here.
AmSECT Safety Committee Members
Susan Englert, RN CCP CPBMT- Committee Chair
David C. Fitzgerald, CCP
Gary Grist, CCP RN
James Reagor, CCP FPP
Ian R. Shearer, BS CCP
William (Scott) Snider, CCP LP
Zachariah Wilkes, MBA CCP
Barbara Braley Millin, CCP
John Englert, CCP
Safety Committee Calendar
Click here to view the Safety Committee Calendar for upcoming call and event information.