Position: Hepatic Perfusion Partner - Extended Normothermic Liver Perfusion
Location: New York, NY
Description: Working in our NYC X-labs (with opportunities to spend time at our partner lab at Yale University, a short train ride away), the Perfusion Practitioner is responsible for managing the normothermic perfusion of recovered organs and for ensuring proper care and maintenance of the liver by managing blood flow; flow rate and pressure; regulating oxygen and carbon dioxide; and ensuring all equipment is functioning. You will also ensure the necessary perfusate and additives are maintained to ensure the health of the liver. These are extended perfusions – up to 120 hours long, meaning there will be occasional after-hours work. You will be collaborating closely with surgeons and research scientists to preserve the viability of a liver whilst on a normothermic perfusion machine for extended periods. You will be involved in blood-gas and chemistry analysis to optimize and validate operating procedures and protocols, across a number of different perfusion centers. Additionally, you will be able to support the research by collecting perfusate samples. Additional experience in handling/processing fresh and frozen bio-samples is a plus.
Requirements: • Optimization of perfusion procedures and protocols
• Processing ex-vivo samples for target validations
• Ensure all processes and biospecimen management is complaint with all relevant regulations
• Conducting experiments for gene expression
• Assists with organ recoveries both local and non-local cases.
• Maintain surgical recovery equipment and supplies.
• Performs pulsatile perfusion of livers as per the specified protocols.
• Maintains normothermic perfusion equipment / supplies.
• Completes appropriate pump and cleaning logs.
• Prepare tissues for freezing and transport to central lab in the United Kingdom.
• Accept on call responsibilities as scheduled.