The Boston Children’s Hospital (BCH) Department of Cardiac Surgery is pleased to offer a clinical practice rotation to one perfusion student annually. One student will be chosen from the applicant pool for an 8-14 week clinical rotation within our congenital cardiac surgery practice. The rotation will be held during the spring 2021 semester. Specific weeks will be determined based on programmatic needs of the perfusion education program in alignment with Perfusion Department scheduling. Typically, the student will observe practice for 1-2 weeks before pumping cases. Students will likely pump 4-5 bypass cases weekly during their rotation.
Applicants must satisfy the following list of requirements:
- Be enrolled in an accredited perfusion education program in the United States
- Currently have a GPA of 3.0 or better
- Have successfully completed one or more clinical rotations before starting at BCH (it is understood that most applicants complete their first rotation after this application process)
- Have a letter of recommendation from the Perfusion Program Director/Clinical Coordinator/Rotation Coordinator (emailed directly to [login to unmask email])
- Provide a curriculum vitae
- Provide a cover letter describing their interest in perfusion for congenital heart surgery
Applicants must submit their application for our perfusion for congenital heart surgery clinical practice rotation by February 2, 2020.
The perfusion department will review all applications and interview select candidates by February 14th. Interviews will be conducted online or in-person, at the preference and expense of the candidate. One candidate will be offered the rotation annually and must confirm acceptance by February 21st. A clinical rotation cannot begin until the candidate’s school signs the BCH Educational Program Agreement and the student satisfies BCH associated personnel requirements. The candidate's school must also file a copy of the educational agreement with the AC-PE.
The BCH Perfusion Team looks forward to partnering with you for an exceptional rotation!
Greg Matte, CCP, LP, FPP
Chief Perfusionist and Manager
Boston Children's Hospital