Position: Staff Perfusionist
Location: Madison, WI
Description: A skilled member of the open heart surgical team, the Perfusionist is responsible for providing extracorporeal circulation during cardiopulmonary bypass for cardiac surgical procedures, anticoagulation management, point of care testing and autologous blood processing. The Perfusionist also acts as an integral member of the critical care team for patients in need of extra-corporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) or emergent cardiopulmonary support (CPS) therapy when indicated in the Cath Lab or SSICU. Perfusionists also perform a supportive role for other medical specialties by providing intraoperative autologous blood processing to assist in blood conservation techniques and blood component preparation.
- The program performs over 550 open heart procedures annually, including CABGS, Valves, Minimally Invasive AVR/MVR, Aortic Aneurysms/Dissections, ECMO and Autologous Blood Therapy procedures and continues to grow
- Ideal candidates will possess excellent leadership skills, initiative and be a good team player
- Position intended for long term placement
Requirements: Education requirement includes completion of an accredited university based perfusion program and/or current certification as a clinical perfusionist as recognized by the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion.
- CERTIFICATION, LICENSURE, BONDING: Current State of Wisconsin Perfusionist license required
- Yearly continuing education units must be completed for continued certification
- EXPERIENCE: 3-5 years perfusion experience is necessary
- SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS: The technical complexity of this position requires the incumbent to have a complete understanding of cardiac, pulmonary, and vascular procedures. Must be knowledgeable of cardiopulmonary anatomy and physiology, electrocardiograph (ECG) interpretation and pharmacology. Very knowledgeable of cardiopulmonary bypass equipment and procedures. Must be proficient at operating the cardiopulmonary bypass machine.