Position: Staff Pediatric Perfusionist
Location: Oak Lawn, IL
Description: Advocate Christ Medical Center is part of Advocate Health Care, one of the nation’s leading health care networks. A not-for-profit, 749-bed, premier teaching institution with more than 1,200 affiliated physicians, Christ Medical Center is one of the major referral hospitals in the Midwest for a number of specialties, including cancer care; cardiovascular services; heart, kidney and lung transplantation; neurosciences; orthopedics; and women’s health. The hospital provides emergency care for more than 100,000 patient visits annually and has one of the busiest Level I trauma centers in Illinois.
Advocate Children's Hospital is a 3 Star STS Pediatric Open Heart Program.
Requirements: To plan, provide, and evaluate quality clinical services related to extra-corporeal circulation (ECC) for pediatric patients requiring cardiac surgery or extra-corporeal life support (ECLS) or any other techniques deemed necessary or beneficial.
- Responsible for safe conduct of cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) and all related techniques
- Responsible for assisting the primary perfusionist during CPB
- Performs ancillary tasks or assists in all duties required of the primary perfusionist
- Remains available during the procedure as a resource, back-up, and helper for the primary perfusionist
- Aids in troubleshooting and problem solving during the procedure
- Aids in monitoring of the surgical progression and in expediting communication with the surgical team
- Assists during the procedure by running samples, obtaining or preparing drugs, charting, time tracking, monitoring of patient and equipment parameters or relieving the primary perfusionist as needed
- Handles incoming calls or unusual equipment requests so as to eliminate distractions for the primary perfusionist
- Collects, enters, summarizes or analyzes data as directed
- Responsible for maintaining professional standards and self-development
- Maintains personal education level by reviewing professional literature, attending cath conferences, M and M, CE seminars, national meetings, Advocate classes, and utilizing resources such as the Internet or self-study programs
- Collaborates with other services to reduce patient and hospital costs
- Identifies and implements cost reduction opportunities
- Maintains all certification, credentialing and proficiency required (ABCP, IDPR, CPR, blood gas analysis, ACT, etc.)
- Promotes collaboration and close relationship with other departments and hospitals of the Advocate system
- Previous Pediatric experience preferred