Position: Cardiovascular Perfusionist
Location: New York, NY
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Department: Cardiothoracic OR; REQ. # 2335506
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Perfusionist performs functions necessary for the support, treatment, measurement or supplementation of the cardiopulmonary and circulatory system of the patient. This individual operates extracorporeal circulation equipment during any medical situation where it is necessary to support or replace the patient’s cardiopulmonary/circulatory function and ensures the proper management of physiologic functions by monitoring the necessary variables.
Responsible To: Clinical responsibility and oversight falls under the Chief and Chairman of the Cardiothoracic Surgery Department and/or his qualified designee.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Consults with the physician for the selection of the most appropriate equipment and techniques needed for the surgery.
2. Delivers various types of blood products, anesthetic agents or medications and controls the temperature of patients during surgery.
3. Monitors patients’ physiological functions during surgery and in the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU) such as anticoagulation, blood-gas composition, electrolytes and blood collection and processing.
4. Responds to on-call notification for open heart surgical emergencies in the operating room, Intensive Care Unit, Cardiothoracic Laboratory or other areas of the hospital.
5. Makes recommendations for the purchase of new equipment. Maintains an up-to-date inventory and orders supplies as needed.
6. Other clinical duties as assigned
7. Mentors less experienced Perfusionists.
Bachelor’s Degree in Perfusion Technology or Bachelor Degree with a Certificate in Perfusion Technology from an accredited cardiovascular perfusion education program.
Certification as a Perfusionist by the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion required (those who do not will require it within one year of date of hire).
0-1 year as Perfusionist (inclusive of clinical rotations)
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity and inclusion is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize healthcare delivery together.
We work hard to recruit and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you have the opportunity and support to develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, have an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.